Menzies was a once bustling goldmining centre, named in honour of a Baltimore-born American adventurer, Leslie Robert Menzie. In 1894, Menzie made a rich discovery that was to become the bountiful Lady Shenton mine, named in honour of the wife of Sir George Shenton, a powerful Perth merchant and politician, on whose behalf Menzie and his mate John McDonald were prospecting.
Today, Menzies has renewed fame as the gateway to the internationally-acclaimed Sir Antony Gormley ‘Inside Australia’ sculptures on Lake Ballard.
But the Shire of Menzies has two other much-loved attractions: Niagara Dam and Kookynie’s Grand Hotel.
In Menzies itself there is a walk trail with interpretive signage and installations celebrating the history and stories of those who have lived in Menzies since 1894. The most famous surviving building is the Menzies Town Hall with its much talked about clock.
For further information on Menzies:
Menzies Visitors Centre - 08 9024 2702
Shire of Menzies - www.menzies.wa.gov.au